Spring is right around the corner, which means it’s time to start planning out your spring home improvement projects. One of the most popular home improvement projects that is tackled in the spring is staining! Staining a wood fence is important to keeping it in great condition and protecting the wood itself from insect infestations, discoloration, and wood rot. Here are some of our absolute top tips for staining a wood fence in your yard.
Our Best Tips for Staining a Wood Fence
- Choose the right time to stain your fence. If your wood fence is brand new, you should wait at least three weeks before you touch it with any stain or paint. The best time of day to apply a stain is in the early morning or late afternoon on a cloudy (but not rainy!) day. Ideally, you should select a day where there has not been any rain for 24 hours, and there will not be rain for another 24 hours.
- Select the right tools for the job! If you are going to be using a brush, you should choose one that is 4-5 inches wide. Will you be using a pad? Choose one that has a fluffy nap. If you are choosing from paint rollers, you can use just about any roller that is nice quality.
- Prepare your wood fence before you get started if it’s an older fence. You should start by cleaning off any dirt and debris and allowing the fence to totally dry over the course of a few days. A basic cleaning mixture is 1 part bleach to 3 parts water.
- Apply the stain by dipping your tool into the stain and then working your way from section to section. You should always paint from top to bottom so that dripping doesn’t cause things to appear uneven.
- Depending on the opacity of your stain, you should only need to apply a single even coat for things to work as intended. If you are using paint, you should use more than one layer of paint.
Quality Fences from Hercules Fence Newport News
Ready to get your perfect fence installed around your residential or commercial property or get your existing fence repaired? Hercules Fence has extensive experience in repairing and constructing fences made out of any and every material. Our experienced team can help meet your fencing needs, whether they’re residential or commercial, for the right price. Give us a call at 757-316-3600 or visit us online. To see examples of our work and keep in touch, don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Flickr, and Pinterest.