Deer are truly beautiful creatures, but unfortunately they can do severe damage to your carefully thought out landscaping, even if it is entirely by accident. Without deer fences, properties are highly vulnerable to deer trampling them and feeding on the flowers and shrubs, ripping beautiful gardens to pieces. Here are some important things to consider when getting started on looking at deer fences for your property.
Keep Theses Things In Mind
Deer are quite famously agile, and can jump to great heights when searching for food. This is why deer fences must be constructed in a way that deters deer using sight, width, and height barriers for maximum effect. Deer have poor depth perception and sight, which can make constructing deer fences that they think they cannot jump over easy.
The Types of Deer Fences
- Electric Wire or Mesh: This type of fencing is not incredibly attractive, but is useful for large properties where it is more important to keep deer out of an extended space than have your fence be a centerpiece. Electrified fences deter deer very quickly and thoroughly.
- Tall Wooden Fences: This more conventional looking fence needs to be at least eight feet high to keep deer out.
- Wide Wooden Fence Rows: These traditional wooden fences have a more appealing look, while the double fences deter deer as they fear they may get stuck between them. The width between the rows will serve as an excellent deterrent as long as the fences are four to eight feet apart.
- Slanted Fences: If a tall fence is not possible, slanting deer fences at a 45 degree angle may just do the trick. Due to their poor depth perception and sight, deer interpret a leaning fence as being more difficult or even impossible to jump over.
- Privacy Fences: Deer fear the unknown, so a solid privacy fence which completely blocks their sight of the other side will deter them from jumping over it.
Get In Touch With Hercules Fence of Newport News Today
Have more questions about how to get your wood fence looking brand new for the summer? Hercules Fence has extensive experience in repairing and constructing fences made out of any and every material. Our experienced team can help meet your fencing needs, whether they’re residential or commercial, for the right price. Give us a call at 757-316-3600 or visit us online. To see examples of our work and keep in touch, don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Flickr, and Pinterest.