As the old saying goes, good fences make good neighbors. Well, we are willing to take that one step further. Privacy fences make good neighbors…out of bad neighbors. Let’s face it; there are three reasons homeowners consider privacy fences.
- Aesthetic Appeal: There is just something about privacy fences that add instant curb appeal to a home.
- Privacy: Believe it or not, a large number of homeowners opt to install a privacy fence because they truly desire more privacy. This is often the case in crowded neighborhoods where homes are very close to one another.
- Bad Neighbors: Finally, some homeowners elect to install a privacy fence to create a physical border between them and a problem neighbor.
Avoiding Border Disputes between Neighbors
Even if you and your neighbor do not get along, it is still a good idea to let them know of your plans to build your new fence. This can save you a lot of heartache (and money) down the road by avoiding border disputes. You see, if you accidentally construct a fence outside of the boundaries of your property and your neighbor complains, you may be forced, by court order, to take it down. This will cost you both time and money. And no one wants to install a fence twice.
To avoid this issue, try following a few simple guidelines:
- Talk it Over: For starters, talk with your neighbor. Let them know of your plans and let them voice any concerns they may have. It is far better to address these concerns now than after the fence is up.
- Surveyor: Hire a licensed surveyor to map out your property boundaries.
- Local Laws and HOA: Be sure to check local zoning ordinances and homeowners association (HOA) guidelines before building anything, let alone a fence.
- Be Cautious: Instead of building your fence directly on your property line, build it about a foot inside to avoid any potential disputes.
Privacy Fence Installation in Newport News
Founded in 1955, Hercules Fence is the largest fence company based in Virginia. Over the years, we have developed a reputation for quality fence installation and professional service. And with offices throughout Virginia – Manassas, Richmond, Newport News, and Norfolk – Maryland, and North Carolina, Hercules Fence is well-positioned (literally) to meet your fencing needs.
Hercules Fence specializes in both wood and vinyl privacy fences and will work with you to find a style that suits your personal tastes. We take great pride in the wide range of options we offer for residential fencing. Click Here to view all of our product offerings.
In the meantime, if you have any questions about privacy fences or if you just prefer to talk to a live human being, please give Hercules Fence, Newport News a call at (757) 316-3600! The knowledgeable people of Hercules Fence will be more than happy to discuss your project with you and answer any questions you may have.