Hercules Fence is the largest fence company based in Virginia. We know a thing or two about fences. That is why we decided to start blogging. We wanted to help answer your questions to help you make well-informed fence purchases, whether from us or another fence company (we hope you choose us). So, without further ado, let’s answer one of the most frequently asked questions we receive: “How do I choose the correct gate size?”
How to Choose the Correct Gate Size. Hercules Fence in Virginia Explains
To determine the ideal size of your fence gate, you must first answer a few questions:
- What do you need to fit through the fence? How wide is your mower gate? At a minimum, you should be able to fit your mower through your gate. Otherwise, you will need to lift it over your fence to every time you need to mow the front yard. Do you ever see the need to get a vehicle in your backyard, perhaps for future construction or renovation? If your gate isn’t big enough to accommodate future needs, you will need to tear down a section of your fence. So plan ahead.
- What do you expect to use the gate for? Is the gate simply for people or do you need to fit other items through the gate as well? This will help give you an idea of how wide of a gate you will need. Remember, you can have multiple gates on a fence and they can be different sizes. Maybe one gate, located near a pool, will only be for people, while another gate, located near your shed, will allow larger items in and out of your yard.
Standard Sizes of Gates
- The smallest gate typically installed is 3’, big enough for people, but not much else.
- The standard gate size is 4’. This is typically large enough for people and most push mowers.
- A 5’ to 6’ gate is good for getting most riding mowers.
- If you need to get a vehicle into your backyard, a 10’ gate might be your best bet.
- If you plan on having construction done in the future, a 12’ gate or larger is best. This will allow large vehicles and trailers to access your backyard.
Of course, the final decision is yours, but Hercules Fence is here to answer any questions you may have regarding gate size. Our experienced sales and installation staff can handle any of your fencing needs.
Since 1955, Hercules Fence has been providing professional service and quality installation for residential fences in Northern Virginia. Please take a moment to browse our many options, from Custom Wood Fences to Ornamental Steel Fences to Ornamental Aluminum Fences to PVC Vinyl Fences, Chain Link, and more.
If you have any questions about How to Choose the Correct Gate Size, or if you have any other fence related questions, please contact Hercules Fence by calling (757) 316-3600 or visit FencesNewportNews.com today! You can also follow Hercules Fence on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube while you are at it.