Nothing, and we repeat nothing, gives the home the curb appeal of a wood fence. These fences provide a natural and rustic look that complements any home. Best of all, if you get tired of a certain color, paint or stain over it. It is that simple to update the look of your fence. The only downfall of a wood fence, however, is maintenance. Unlike vinyl fences or even chain link fences, which are bow low-maintenance, a wood fence requires annual maintenance.
Wood Fence Maintenance Tips
- Proper Installation: First and foremost, ensure your wood fence is properly installed. This is why it is often best to leave the job to a professional fence company, like Hercules Fence. We have been providing professional service and quality installation for both commercial and residential fences since 1955.
- Painting and Staining: The same point we referenced as one of woods greatest assets is also one of its biggest maintenance tasks. While it is easy to change the color of your fence on a whim, it is also important to maintain the current color of your fence. This will require annual painting or staining. This is an important step to help shield your fence from the effects of rain and snow.
- Timely Repairs: Remember the old sewing adage, “a stitch in time saves nine?” Well, the same goes for your wood fence…sort of. Making timely repairs can help prevent catastrophic fence failure, extending the life of your fence.
- Clear Vegetation: Moisture and your wood fence do not mix. Because of this, it is important to clear vegetation and debris from around your wood fence. The excess moisture could cause rotting, mold, and mildew.
- Cleaning: Clean your fence annually. To do this you can use a power washer. Just make sure you do not get too close to the fence. The water pressure can cause your fence to splinter.
- Inspection: Regularly inspect your wood fence for signs of damage or rot. This is especially important after a big storm.
If you have any questions about Wood Fence Maintenance Tips or if you have any other fence related questions, please contact Hercules Fence by calling (757) 316-3600 or visit FencesNewportNews.com today! You can also follow Hercules Fence on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube while you are at it.